The ITTF Continental Council (ITTF CC) voted on the qualifications systems to be used for the 2022 World Team Table Tennis and World Para Table Tennis Championships.
Chengdu 2022 World Team Table Tennis Championships
33 Teams will qualify from the Continental Stage. The Continental quota allocation is the following: 4 for Africa, 10 for Asia, 11 for Europe, 6 for PANAM, and 2 for Oceania.
Considering the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic in the world, the following system was selected to allocate the remaining six places.
From the 6 quotas, 5 would be reallocated to the Continents. The 5 quotas per gender will be distributed in the following way:
- Europe (1): The highest-ranked, not-yet qualified team from the European Championships 2021 Group Stage (according to the seeding list of the event)
- Asia (1): Position 11 (2021 Asian Championships) in each gender
- PANAM (1): The winner of the consolation at the 2021 PANAM Championships
- Africa (1): The winner of the consolation at the 2021 African Championships
- Oceania (1): The highest-ranked, not-yet qualified teams from the Teams World Ranking (Month: January 2022)
The 6th quota will be allocated to the highest ranked not-yet qualified team from the ITTF Table Tennis Teams World Ranking (Month: ITTF Team Rankings published in the month of the conclusion of the Continental quota allocation).
Granada 2022 World Para Table Tennis Championships
The tournament will include singles, doubles, and mixed doubles.
The qualification system presented at the ITTF CC, as elaborated by the representatives of the ITTF Para Table Tennis Committee with the input of the Para Athletes in the Para Table Tennis Committee and the ITTF staff, was selected.
The order of priority to assign the qualification slots will be the following:
- Continental Ranking (replacing the slots traditionally given to the continental champions due to absence of 2021 continental championships): 55 male athletes and 50 female athletes. One top-ranked male athlete and one top-ranked female athlete for each one of the classes and each one of the continents on the ITTF PTT World Ranking Lists closing 31 July 2022, qualify.
- World Junior Ranking: 11 male athletes and 10 female athletes. One top-ranked male athlete and one top-ranked female athlete, not otherwise, qualified for each one of the classes from 2 to 11 from ITTF PTT World U23 Ranking Lists closing 31 July 2022, qualify.
- World Ranking: 87 male athletes and 73 female athletes. The top-ranked male and female athletes, not otherwise qualified, up to the established quota for the individual singles event, on the ITTF PTT Male and Female World Ranking Lists closing 31 July 2022, qualify.
- Invitations: 27 male athletes and 20 female athletes. Eligible male and female athletes will be considered by the ITTF Selection Commission Invitation qualification slots, up to the established quota for the individual singles event. To be considered for an invitation slot, MAs (including the host country) must submit an official application in writing to ITTF by 15 August 2022.
More information about the Para Table Tennis ranking system 2022 is available here.