by Ian Marshall, ITTF Publications Manager
Overall, eleven cities were represented. Additional to Singapore, players travelled from the Chinese cities of Changsha, Shenzhen and Xi’an, as well as from the Korean capital, Seoul. In addition there were competitors from Selangor, Johor, Kuala Lumpur and Melaka in Malaysia as well as Taichung City in Chinese Taipei.
Under the direction of Ronald Wee, the Referee, events for both boys and girls in the under 12 and under 18 years age groups were staged; a total of 54 teams from six national associations competed in the four categories.
“This tournament provided a platform for players to gain exposure by competing with overseas players as well as to promote friendship amongst the players. Also there were Facebook live telecasts from the day two of the competition.” Ronald Wee
Team events comprised three matches with an innovative scoring scheme introduced to promote competition; one point was awarded for each match won, one point deducted if a match was conceded owing to a walk-over.
“One of the highlights of the tournament was the Under 12 Boys’ 12 match between Cheng Jun Meng from PJ Union, Malaysia and Tay Sui Shern of SJKC Bukit Beruang, Malaysia; Cheng Jun Meng won the third game 23-21.” Ronald Wee
A busy three days; one that was most rewarding and one to ignite World Table Tennis Day.
Roll of Honour
Under 12 Girls’ Team
1. Long Pu School 1 (Chinese Taipei): Cheng Chia-Chien, Hsieh Chin-Erh, Chen Ying-Fei
2. Singapore 1 (Singapore): Jacy Mok Hoi Ching, Lim Qi, Ellie LOW Yilin
3. Long Pu School 2 (Chinese Taipei): Yuan Hsin, Chen Yen-Chen, Lin Hsiang-Ju
Under 18 Girls’ Team
1. Singapore 1 (Singapore): Goi Rui Xuan, Wong Xinru, Koh Kai Xin Pearlyn
2. Singapore 3 (Singapore): Zhou Jing Yi, Liu Sijia, Ser Lin Qian
3. Singapore 2 (Singapore): Eunice Lim Zoe, Tan En Hui, Tan Li Lin Jassy, Lu Hua Yu
Under 12 Boys’ Team
1. Dong Mun Elementary School (Korea): Lee Hoyun, Kwon Hyuk, Koh Junhao
2. Yu Nong Elementary School (Chinese Taipei): Peng Jing-En, Hsieh Tzu-Fan, Huang Shou-Sin
3. Shenzhen ‘A’ (China): Wen Hong Xi, Lu Zheng Ru, Chen Kai Jie
Under 18 Boys’ Team
1. Singapore A (Singapore): Josh Chua Shao Han, Dominic Koh Song Jun, Gerald Yu Zong Jun, Lucas Tan
2. Taichung City (Chinese Taipei): Huang Shang-Yu, Huang Yu-Sian, Hsu Shao-Hsuan, Chang Yao-Wen
3. Singapore B (Singapore): Shawn Chua Kee Yang, Lim Dao Yi, Izaac Quek Yong
2018 Singapore Junior and Hopes Invitational Tournament: Full details including prospectus and results