by Wade Townsend
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. Well Team China are dishing out the compliments.
Almost thirty players have been selected to imitate the playing styles of the biggest threats to China’s women’s team at the upcoming Liebherr 2017 World Table Tennis Championships in Düsseldorf.
Miu Hirano is considered such a threat now that she has four players imitating her. Checkout the list below to see who has been recruited.
- Miu Hirano: Sun Yingsha, Wang Manyu, Chen Xingtong, Liu Ming
- Mima Ito: Zhang Rui
- Kasumi Ishikawa: Chen Ke, Gu Yuting
- Hina Hayata: Liu Gaoyuan, Wen Jia
- Kim Song I, Seo Huywon, Kim Kyungah:Hu Limei, Liu Fei
- Li Jie, Li Qian: Wu Yang
- Elizabeta Samara, Petrissa Sojla: Wen Jia, Liu Gaoyuan, Gu Yuting
- Feng Tianwei: Feng Yalan, Gu Ruochen, Wang Yidi
- Yu Mengyu: Yuan Xuejiao, Guo Yan
- Hu Melek: Sun Mingyang, Zhang Rui
- Lee Ho Ching, Doo Hoi Kem, Cheng I-Ching: Gu Ruochen,Wang Yidi, Li Xiaodan, Li Jiayi, Che Xiaoxi, Liu Xi, Guo Ya
That’s not all China are doing to prepare. A video of Miu Hirano winning the Asian Championships has been put on loop in the training hall. Talk about rubbing salt in the wound, but it will definitely motivate the team as they look to secure the medals on offer in Düsseldorf.
“Japan already has rung the alarm to Chinese team. Every time we meet with the Japan, we are determined to do our best to fight every battle.” Kong Linghui
What do you think about this unique training method?